Thursday, January 7, 2010

Finding the Good

I had the most amazing thing happen today. But I'll start with yesterday which leads to what happened today. Yesterday, my husbands car broke down. His air compressor has gone out practically every year since we have owned it. It is a 20003 Honda CRV in case you are wondering. Anyway, when it went out the last time it wasn't under warranty anymore. Our mechanic was tired of fixing it and it was so expensive to take it to Honda that we just went without air rather than get it fixed.

Well, yesterday morning he was on his way to work and his car started over heating just down the street from our house. I'm thinking this is really no big deal. A guy from church came over to look at it and it was the air compressor that caused a belt to break and the only way to fix it was to replace both. I knew this was going to be really expensive and my husband was without a job for almost 5 months recently so this would not be good. I just didn't understand why this was happening. I had a mini meltdown and cried out to God. I pulled it together and wondered if there was any good that I could find in this situation.

I realized that since he has an hour commute to work this could have happened on the highway and we could have had to pay for towing. I had found out just the day before that a guy from our church worked on cars. So I started focusing on the good. Turns out he found the part at a salvage yard for $225.00. To purchase new at Honda was going to cost almost $1000.00 NOT including labor. Well, when the part came in and he went to pick it up he was about to walk out the door and realized that the exact same thing was wrong with that compressor. So they ordered another one from somewhere else. When I found this out and I caught myself starting to get really down. I couldn't stop thinking about what if we get this part on and spend this money and the same thing happens to this used part. I thought again about what was the good in this. I instantly remembered that recently my husband drove to Houston for business twice. That the car could have broken down in the middle of no where and how much money that could have cost to have it towed much less repaired in another city by someone we didn't know. This could have all happened when he was unemployed.

When I found the good in the situation, I literally physically felt something change. I felt the difference IN me. My attitude was changed. I had peace. Even when I tried to think about how bad this could potentially be, I didn't worry about it or stress at all. I said out loud to God, "God, will you quite this storm in our lives?" I drove home and the guy from church was in my driveway working on our car. I was puzzled. I said to him, "I'm surprised to see you here" He tells me that he was sitting at home thinking about our car and an idea came to him on how to fix the car by just replacing a belt if he could just get it to work. The air still wouldn't work but the cost would be minimal.

So, I told him the exact story of me looking for the good. I could tell that he didn't think that belt was going to work. I looked at him and told him that I believed that he was going to be able to get it on. I went inside and within just a couple of minutes that belt was on and the car was working just fine!! The belt cost $11.00!!

I am 100% convinced that as I looked for the good, God changed my heart. I had HIS peace that passes ALL understanding. I hope this ministers to you today. Look for the good even when it seems like there isn't any to be found. I believe you will find it. And when you do and God does something amazing not only in your life but in YOU, please share your experience with me because I would just be thrilled to hear about it!!

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

A) loving the new background

B) who works on cars? mine is being annoying... lol.

C) thanks for the reminder, so often I let little things bog me down or ruin my entire day and God can work things for good out of all the junk. I am loving the Grumble Challange because it makes me stop and be thankful.