Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fatherless Daughters Whose Fathers Are Living

Fatherless Daughters PART 1

Here are some statistics on fatherless daughters.

53% are more likely to marry as teenagers

111% are more likely to have children as teenagers

164% are more likely to have an out of wedlock birth

92% higher divorce rate (32% higher for sons)

I fall in ALL of the above categories. I did marry as a teenager, I did have a child as a teenager, it was out of wedlock and I also divorced. I spent years searching for in a man what I never got from my earthly father. Therefore, I had a huge void in my life but didn't even know what I was looking for.

I feel that we are created with a longing to know our heavenly father. Regardless of the decisions we make in our lives, I think we will search to find something that can fill that void until we let God fill it. And if we don't let God fill it, we will continue searching relentlessly for it.

I lost my mom when I was 23 years old and she was one amazing, incredible woman. In the last 17 years since her death, God has put so many women in my life that help to fill the void of not having my mom. I have willingly accepted and welcomed this. It makes the times when I miss her terribly so much easier to handle. However, when it comes to men, I would rather die than depend on one to fill this void. Due to having this mentality, I have spent my life looking at my heavenly father the same way as I look at my earthly father. I have felt that I cannot depend on God, I cannot trust Him, I never know when he will come through and I definitely can't go to Him for answers or comfort. This has created some real difficulty in my life.

I spent my life expecting my dad to be something he will never ever be. I basically had extreme unrealistic expectations. This created in me anger, bitterness, resentment and many other things that I have had to overcome. I've been on a journey. I've traveled the road of the broken heart for over 30 years. I've searched for so many things in my life to make the pain of not having my dad around subside. It wasn't until I went to something called "Tres Dias" that my life completely changed in this area. I can't wait to share it with you in Part 2.

1 comment:

Texastam said...

You are so self aware lady!! I can't wait for Part 2!!!