Monday, February 15, 2010

Live while you still have some living to do!!

I used to be a manicurist. When my mom was dying, she asked me if I would make sure her hands and feet looked nice before she died. Of course I said yes. But in my mind I thought that if I did that, she would die. That it would just signal the end. I was in such denial about what was going on in my life and what was about to take place. So needless to say, I didn't do it. I'll never forget the night she was taking her last breaths. When she finally breathed that very last breath I immediately went into a panic because I had not done what she had asked me to do. I grabbed my stuff right at that very moment and did what I had promised.

I am not a free spirit in any way. I am very calm and reserved. You will never find me out acting any other age than my own! I didn't grow up around little kid's really. I always hung out with adults it seemed like. I will however do something totally random at times just to crack my kid's up. But that doesn't happen very often.

A couple of days ago, it snowed more than I have ever seen it snow in my entire life. The kid's had a snow day and it was the perfect snow for building an awesome snow man. During the day someone who I know who has lost her husband, told me to go play in the snow with my kid's and have a snow ball fight. I was instantly reminded of waiting until my mom died to do her nails like she had asked me to. I came home and we watched it snow, I let them play in the snow even though they got tons of towels and clothes all dirty as well as my floors. The next morning we got up and we made a big snow man together and we went for a walk down to the pond, we attempted to go sledding. We built a nice fire and all watched movies and slept in the living room together. The next day after that we did the same thing when their dad came home. Doing this was WAY out of my comfort zone. But it felt awesome!

It was great to have stepped out and done something that mattered. So I said all that to say, don't wait until there is no time left and all opportunities have passed you by before you do the things that really matter! Things that will be remembered many years after you are no longer on this earth! Live while you still have some living to do!!!!

1 comment:

Texastam said...

You go Kelley!! I always knew you had it in you!! Love ya!